Masaan means a crematorium. The movie is directed by Neeraj Ghaywan (who later went on to make Sacred Games) and written by Varun Grover (writer of Sacred Games).
The theme of destruction and regeneration is signalled by its name, backed up by the location of Varanasi. Varanasi has been an ancient site for salvation and spirituality.
The Story Of Masaan
- Devi (Richa Chadha) has an affair with a boy that welcomes cheating and corruption from a cop (Bhagwan Tiwari) supported by her helpless dad Pathak (Sanjay Mishra).
- Even as Devi pushes into an unhealthy mental space, Pathak gambles to save the “honour” of the family through a boy named Jhonta (Nikhil Sahni), a kid who works for him.
- In the midway, there is a story of Deepak (Vicky Kaushal), a Dom community boy and his family work as a raker that extracts coal from the dead body.
- He is studying engineering and falls in love with the upper caste girl, Shaalu (Shweta Tripathi). Shallu adores present-day poems and writing.
- As the story progresses, while doing his job of raking finds something in the graveyard that turns his life upside-down, turning the film towards tragedy.
- Both the stories and their characters collide at a point where life takes a beautiful turn through the ever-flowing Ganga.
The Characters In The Movie, Masaan
- Richa Chadda mixes the misery and natural certainty of Devi with unexpected confidence.
- Sanjay Mishra shows one more face of every household’s Indian father.
- Pankaj Tripathi gets a chance to break his typecast image, and he stands out exceptionally well in his performance.
- However, the find of the film is Vicky Kaushal. As the Dom kid in affection, he effortlessly acts in the scenes of heartbreak and innocence.
The Direction Of Masaan
- Ghaywan combines two different stories with certainty and flawlessly.
- The film’s thematic conclusion doesn’t blind the director but shows the hard truth and reality of life.
- Ghaywan is an observational director that helps his characters to discover the rhythm.
Did You Know?
- The ghats where the Richa Chadha starrer Masaan was shot were fake. The shooting of Masaan was done at a couple of new ghats.
- Neeraj Ghaywan was the associate head of Anurag Kashyap in the film Gangs of Wasseypur.
- Neeraj arranged the plot of Masaan in the year 2012 and needed Anurag to finance the film. Because of his bustling timetable, Anurag didn’t guarantee that he would make Masaan. Eventually, Anurag produced the film.
- Before Vicky Kaushal, Manoj Bajpayee and Rajkummar Rao were thought to be cast against Richa Chadha.
Overall, Masaan is a movie that begins with a woman indulging in sexual activity, followed by harassment and then death. It celebrates the story of two different individuals advancing on two distinct journeys. The only difference is one commences with ambition while the other starts up in sadness.
I am a creative head and films are my passion. From FIRST ACT TO THIRD ACT, all of my life is a screenplay.