Rubai is carefully arranged rhythmically and often preferred to set the story in short lines, a poem is all about deep feelings and expressions.
Likewise, Rubaiyat is a name given to a poem in Persian verse.
1. 4-Lines: The Rubaiyat has a stanza consisting of short 4-lines known as rubai.
- Rubai is one of the genres used for the poem.
- It is usually used in Nazm (a type of poetry).
- In the English language, it simply means stanza.
3. Rhyming Pattern: The poem in the Persian form follows the scheme: AABA or AAAA.
- Each rhythm has its unit based on which the verses are decided. That unit is known as the meter.
- Every poet follows different patterns of the meter.
- A foot is another name for a meter.
- Iambic pentameter, trimeter, iambic tetrameter, etc., are all examples of the meter.
- It may be possible that there are 24 prescribed meters for writing rubai.
- Following are some proficient poets and their numbers of rubai:
- Omar Khayyam- More than 100
- Ahmad Husain Mail-19
- Akbar Allahabadi-54
- Baqar Mehdi-30
- Example of Rubai in the English Language:
A poem written by Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, is meaningful truth about life:
“The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.”
The scheme of the rhyme is ‘AABA’.
- Rubai Example in the Urdu Language:
Presenting to you the beautiful and essential rubai from Rūmī’s Dīwān-i Shams:
“Anwār-i Ṣalāḥ-i Dīn bar angēkhta bād
Dar dīda u jān-i ʿāshiqān rēkhta bād
Har jān ki laṭīf gasht u az luṭf guzasht
Bā khāk-i Ṣalāḥ-i Dīn dar āmēkhta bād”
The meter used by the poet is: – – u u – u – u – – u u –
Consisting of several meters, each poet uses a different pattern in rubai. Nonetheless, it may be possible that all lines of a rubai are unrhythmic.
A dedicated educator and writer, a humble colleague, an understanding friend, advisor to many, yet learning from many more. All this defines a young lady named Anushree Warulkar as she has earned every word mentioned here.