Recently, in 2019, India established two more Union Territories by separating Ladakh from Jammu & Kashmir. Did you know about it?
Well, we didn’t! So, in this blog we’ll know about the 8 Union Territories of India: their date of establishment, capitals and official languages.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Received its UT status on 1 November 1956.
- Its state capital is Port Blair. The Judicial Capital is Kolkata.
- Official Languages are Hindi and English.
- On 1 November 1966, Chandigarh became one of the 8 Union Territories of India.
- Its capital is Chandigarh itself as it is also a city-state of Punjab and Haryana.
- Official language is English.
- Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu (DNHDD)
- In December 2019, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu merged into a single Union Territory.
- The Capital of DNHDD is Daman. Earlier the capital of Dadra and Nagar Haveli was Silvassa.
- The Judicial Capital of this Union Territory of India is Mumbai.
- The National Capital Territory of India (NCT) Delhi is the city-state and one of the 8 UTs of India.
- The Capital of Delhi is New Delhi.
- The Official Language of Delhi is Hindi.
- On 1 November 1956, Lakshadweep became a UT of India.
- Its capital is Kavaratti. The Judicial Capital of it is Kochi.
- The official language of this UT is English. Though Malayalam is also recognized.
- Pondicherry became a UT on 16 August 1962.
- Its capital is Pondicherry. The Judicial Capital of Pondicherry is Chennai.
- The official languages are English and Tamil.
- Jammu & Kashmir
- J&K recently became a Union Territory of India, on 31 October 2019.
- Its capital is Srinagar in summers and Jammu in winters.
- The official language of this UT is Urdu.
- Separated from Jammu & Kashmir on 31 October 2019, Ladakh became a Union Territory.
- Its capitals are Leh in summers and Kargil during the winters.
- Its official languages are Hindi and English.
Were you aware that Delhi is not a state but one of the 8 Union Territories of India?
Young and passionate 'Dilliwali' Editor&Writer, Ritika Gupta aims to work for youths and artists in India through Value Creation.